Strength does not come from physical capacity it comes from indomitable will -Ghandi

Friday, July 23, 2010

Look Two Posts!!! :)

The beginning of this week has been really great! On Monday, I was able to go to Succotz and help with Square foot Gardening. We are building them at a school and they will use the food grown to improve their feeding program. The guy who was suppose to bring shovels and tools wasn’t on time and we couldn’t get a hold of him on the phone, so Whitney and I went around to different houses asking for shovels to borrow. We didn’t think we would find one because people just kept saying no. Then we stopped at one house that I didn’t really think would have one, but I was hopeful; and they ended up having two- so we started to turn the dirt. The man in charge, at the school, made the frames. We dug some holes to mix the dirt with germinating soil and then poured that mixture into the frames. It was kind of sprinkling the entire time so it felt really nice. We couldn’t really do a lot more because we didn’t have chicken wire to wrap around the gardens to protect the plants..we started to clean up and we tried to hurry because we saw that a storm was coming in really fast. We didn’t make it though. Luckily, the school had a covered area. The Dixon’s (a member of the HELP Board of Directors and his wife) were here visiting, they were afraid to get wet so they wanted to sit and wait the storm out. We told them that is wasn’t going to stop any time soon- but they insisted; so all of us volunteers went out to play in the rain. It was a lot of fun. It was raining so hard. Within about five minutes, the streets were rivers, the grass field was a swamp, and an unfinished house had a floor of water. We jumped in puddles in the house, raced sticks down the street rivers, and then ran to the swamp field. We were doing softball slides, and sliding on our stomachs when a few locals came out to play some soccer. We joined them. It was full contact soccer- anytime you would try to switch directions you would slip, really fun!! It was also really hard because when you try to kick the ball it doesn’t really move because the water stops it. Definitely the most challenging game of soccer, but the most fun also!!! On Tuesday, I stayed home and worked on Leadership camp stuff. Everyone on the team, who got food poisoning, also came down with some sort of cold. Since being sick I have had a very sore throat, on Tuesday it turned into more of a cold. I had really bad headaches for most of the day. By night time I was feeling better or so I thought...it came back really bad on Wednesday. This was the last night that the second wave of people would be here. Sister Kay made dinner and brought it to our house because we couldn’t fit 27 people in her small home. We had a small talent show and took pictures with everybody. It was a really good night!! On Wednesday, we got up early to see off all of our friends.  It was sad!! But our house is so much quieter and less cluttered. Whitney, Calvin, Kory, and I went to Belmopan to give our first Orientation Meeting to the participants of the Leadership camp. It went so well! I was in charge of talking the students about expectations. I told them our expectations for them and then I asked them to tell me their strengths. I then asked them about what they want to get out of the seminars. Their expectations met exactly with what we were planning on teaching! I am so excited that there is actually a need here and I am helping to work on it! After leaving that meeting, I felt so keyed up for the actual seminars to start. I officially took over the finances on Wednesday because Melissa left that morning. I went through with Raymon and combined everything and found out exactly how much we were spending on each project. I am very excited to do the finances. I really enjoyed doing it. Today I stayed home because I was really sick still from yesterday-I couldn’t breathe and my head was killing. My entire body was just aching. Anyways, I had a great night’s sleep and was feeling a bit better. I worked on a bunch of logistics for the team, team secretary stuff, and finished up all the finances that I could! I love it!!!

No comments: