Strength does not come from physical capacity it comes from indomitable will -Ghandi

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Articles to Switch Up My Routine

Hello!

This past week I made a challenge to read one article per day. These articles could be about business or self-development. I'd like to share a few that I read.

Day 1: 5 Simple Exercises to Break your Patterns (LinkedIn)
After reading this article I made another challenge to myself to participate for the rest of the week. Here are the results:
1. Try to write with your other hand, just for one minute. Do you notice how strange and difficult this actually is... 
                     I wrote with my left hand for one minute each day that I worked! The first day it was hard but I was happy it was legible. My hand was hurting after about a minute though because it isn't used to holding a pen like that. Here's a picture of my work throughout the week:
2. Take a different daily route to work. You will be amazed at what you discover on your way.
                     I didn't take a different route every single day but I took a couple of different routes to/from work. It is hard since I have to drive on the freeway but I did take a different route to the freeway a few times. I found out there are some ways I don't want to try again and there are some that are just fine. There were some cool buildings and sites that I hadn't really noticed before.
3. Wear your watch on your other hand for a day. It will feel strange, which is a great reminder for you to be more flexible.
                      These days everyone has their phones to keep track of time. When I was in middle school and high school, I wore a watch but seemed to break them fairly often. After I graduated HS, I just decided to stop spending money on watches. This new job of mine though has a no cell phone policy at work. We have clocks obviously but I decided to buy a watch. I bought one this weekend and it is helping me to be more aware :)
4. Go to your favorite restaurant. Now really look around and observe. You will see things you really never noticed before.
                    I've been trying not to go out to eat as much but we did have my dad's and sister's birthday lunch at Applebee's. My sister and I  noticed the lights above the table had red, green, and yellow coverings. You couldn't tell that from the sitting area. So we were more observant during that meal. I do like to pay attention to details like that and art that may be hanging in buildings.
5. Reach out to one new person per day at work during a week. Pick one person a day, you never talked to before, reach out to him or her and ask them what's on their mind.
Day 2: 17 Thing Successful Leaders Say Every Day (LinkedIn)

This article is addressing things that company leaders and managers should say each day to their employees. I think that this applies just as well to relationships. Family, friends, dating, any relationship! I picked two for each day of the rest of the week to say at least once. The ** signifies the ones that I said throughout the rest of the week. I used some of them at home, some at work, and some in Logan when I went to visit on Saturday. I also noticed when others said these same words and how they made me feel and it was pretty cool! They are empowering statements/questions. I also noticed when people said the opposite and how degrading and negative the atmosphere became.

1. What do you think?**
2. I trust you.**
3. I know you can do it.**
4. It's not your fault.**
5. I'm proud of you.
6. Please.**
7. Thank you.**
8. Great idea--let's do it.**
9. I've always got time for you.**
10. I couldn't have done it without you.
11. No one is perfect.**
12. What can I do to help?**
13. I made a mistake.**
14. I need your help.**
15. Anything is possible.
16. I'm sorry.**
17. I've got your back.**

Day 3: Failure Isn't Fatal: How 5 Successful Entrepreneurs Made a Comeback (LinkedIn)

My favorite quote from this article was "..take stock of instances of failure, process them, and keep moving forward. Learn from failure, and let it guide you to shaping a different approach. If you can turn failure into a positive, liberating experience, you will find that it can be a valuable tool that spurs you onward to success."

This was a fun activity to branch out from my normal routine. If anyone has suggestions of what other things I should try or other blog topics, write a comment or send me a personal message.

I challenge you to try something new this week or do something differently then you usually do!!

Have a great week :)
Cydnee Rae

No comments: