Strength does not come from physical capacity it comes from indomitable will -Ghandi

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Pizza or Pancake??

Hawaiian Pancake from "My Old Dutch
Pancake House" on High Holborn
There is this place called "My Old Dutch Pancake House" that I went to for dinner with a group of classmates. I was super excited for a big stack of pancakes with fruit and syrup. We walked into the little diner and I begin scoping out people's plates. First off, the plates were massive, second they all looked like pizzas. I wondered if this was one of those things lost in translation...pizza vs pancake? I was up for anything! We look at the menu and I was still confused. There were all sorts of crazy toppings, then to make it even more confusing there was a section that sounded like traditional pancake stacks with the fruit and such that I was used to. I decided to just ask the British student sitting next to me...he assured me it was a pancake that I was used to but they were more savoury. So I decided to try my version of pizza on a pancake. I got Hawaiian!! It was massive but the "pancake crust" was more of crepe-pretty thin. I actually ate most of it in one sitting. Some of the other popular flavours ordered were curry and lamb stew. I tasted both of them and they were both delicious!






After that delicious new experience, I went home to get ready for my first official night out. I was going to a Ball! I had gone shopping and found a fabulous dress and awesome tights. The theme was circus chic, I had bought a mask to wear but didn't end up wearing it...I was going for peacock if anyone asked but truly didn't care. It was at this classy, uppity-up club called Koko. I went with a girl in my class named Akari.






Once we arrived, we scoped out the place. There was free face-painting and I preferred that over my mask, so before the line got too long, we jumped in. I asked the lady to go with the peacock theme and she did a wonderful job. There was loud music, lots of people drinking, and honestly it was nowhere I'd ever choose to hang out for long periods of time. Akari wanted to get a drink, so I told her I'd wait on the balcony. I met a couple of people and we ended up just chatting-away from some of the smokers-for a good 45 minutes. So that was fun!!






It was about 12:15am at that point and I had about all I could take in this scene. I told Akari, I was good to leave whenever she was. The last bus was supposed to be around 12:30am....but it never came. We walked back to the club and asked which routes the Night Bus (Harry Potter fans...HP rode a night bus...) ran and could get us back towards our home. They gave us a few options. We got a little lost but eventually found a stop with one of the route numbers and we waited. It was getting pretty chilly by 1am!  We only had one awkward encounter with some guys hitting on  us. And they were super drunk-I think they just wanted money. The bus finally came and we asked which stop would get us closest to where we needed to be...and it wasn't quite as close as I hoped. So I just kept watching the surroundings and hoping we were actually closer than we thought and guess what! We were!! I'm glad I had walked everywhere previously, or else I may not have recognised where we were. I yelled to stop the bus and we made our way home. It was the quietest I had seen the streets of London. It was actually very nice. If we weren't two girls alone, I might have doddled a little more to enjoy it. Even though the club wasn't my scene, and we got totally lost, the night was quite enjoyable. One I won't forget for quite some time :)




For the next few days, I've started to get a routine going.  I love the pastries..I eat croissants & english scones almost every day!! haha They are just so delicious-I can't pass them up! For actual meals, as you saw in the last post, I made stir fry. That is one that I make, I also make curry. Curry is the national dish of England, most people think Fish'n'Chips but it is curry. And I make it once or twice a week (at least I have for the first 3 weeks).












My first week of actual classes was intriguing and I'm pretty excited to get started and really get into everything. There is going to be a lot of reading, so I need to get a good schedule down. We don't have finals right at the end of a term, they are all done during summer term for all classes taken during the year, so that's a little scary. I am ready for the challenge! Here's to Michaelmas (Fall) Term!!  

Thank you to everyone who sends your support and encouragement to me, you have no idea how much it helps and how much it means to me. Love you all and you'll hear from me soon :) 

Have a Happy Thanksgiving--even though I have a post where I'll talk about this....it'll just be in a few days haha










No comments: